T he year was 1907. Nicholas Maiorano in his early 20s; a funeral director by trade in Cerreto Sannito, Benevento, Italy, moved to West Haven, Connecticut and opened up the Maiorano Funeral Home. Two years later, he moved the business to a store front at 137 Bank Street in Waterbury. At that time, wakes and funerals were held in the family home so a storefront office was all that was needed. As time went by, tradition changed and all services were held at the funeral home and in church. In the 1930's with his sons Philip and Albert in the business as well, Nicholas expanded the funeral home. In 1937 he bought a home on Willow Street from Charles Hellman of the Hellmann Brewing family. Rich in cherry wood ceilings and floors, the home made a welcoming and warm place for grieving families to say their final goodbyes to their loved one.